Wednesday 15 December 2010

The interview from the double page spread

Here is the interview from the double page spread


Quickfire consists of only one member; Sam who independently produces and writes all of his music. Originally from Folkestone he now lives in the outskirts of London where he has access to many recording studios and can kick start some serious gigging.
Sam is now not just taking the internet by storm but he is coming across his tracks being sold in independent music retailers. It won’t be long before Sam becomes a super signed act after just two years self promoting.
But now we catch up with him early in November a week after he has just performed at the Leas Cliff Hall.

Which musicians have most influenced you?
I get most of my inspiration from Bloc Party; I really like their style of music. It would be great to receive an award such as the ‘Indie album of the year’ just like they did. I’d like to be as successful as they are. Obviously the Arctic Monkeys are a great influence as they paved the way for bands to come to public attention via the internet; they were one of the first acts. They successfully turned a hobby into a career.

Is your aspiration to become signed one day?
Of course, it is the next step in my career. It’s almost impossible to exist in the music industry without being signed. There isn’t much further I can advance without being signed to a label. I like to think it isn’t too far away.

Do you never worry about not being noticed due to being unsigned?
When you’re unsigned there is always a very high chance that you won’t get noticed. I need all the promotion I can get so when interviews like this come along I’m eager to do them. It shows me that I am being noticed, which is what so many millions of internet bands want.

How did your fan base develop?
It was well over a year before fans started to catch onto my music. First off I created a MySpace page and then a YouTube page where I uploaded my songs. I was getting around 20,000 views on average per song so it wasn’t too bad as a starting point. After a while I decided that it was time to try and get myself more heard; this is why I moved to London. I played for A&R people at The Limehouse Studios who then allowed me to record some tracks there. During the first few months of gigging CDs were given out to people at the end just like the Artic Monkeys did. Word was soon spread and before I knew it the hits on my video were rocketing reaching around the hundred thousands. These videos were just me singing and playing guitar in my flat; filmed by some of my friends. So for uploads like that to be watched that many times was great. Now I get letters from people asking me to play at their venues.

You performed in your home town late September for the first time since moving to London, how was this?
It was great to be back and the reception was amazing. The crowd was singing along with me which always helps to put me more at ease. The applause at the end was incredible; the evening seemed to be a hit. I’ll admit that I was more anxious then the other gigs though. There were a few familiar faces in the crowds which some artists find a comfort but I felt as if I had to get it right to justify my move to London. But no I came away feeling my happiest that I had been that month.

What’s the difference between gigging when you left and now?
Gigging at the beginning was just really small events; like school halls. The schools would arrange a day, a bit like ‘Battle of the Bands’ were students would perform. Most of the space would be taken up by the family and friends so not many people outside of that would see you performing. Now gigs are in bigger and more well known venues just like the Leas Cliff Hall where people come to see just you, not a range of bands. The audience know your songs and they sing along with it; this never happened in the beginning.

Where are you next performing?
Well I’m back up in London to perform. I’m going to be a support act for the Klaxons who specifically asked for an unsigned act. My name was put forward by many of my fans so I was chuffed about that.

Your latest song is called ‘Dressed for sorrow,’ what inspired you to write this track?
This song ‘Dressed for Sorrow’ is all about the funeral of one of my close friends who passed away. We were close so the song is all about celebrating his life, letting him know that we won’t forget him. He was a massive support in my life.

Dressed for Sorrow is available to download from iTunes for just 79p

No comments:

Post a Comment