Friday 25 March 2011

7. Looking back at the preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression?


I progressed on the research and planning by asking more potential readers, so I had more results to evaluate with. I also then, when creating my magazine, I planned the content according to their answers and produced a magazine that the target audience had specifically asked for not what I felt was best.
I also planned the process and judged my time of constructing the magazine better than the preliminary task. I took the images for the magazine a week in advance which left me plenty of time to edit them and retake if necessary. The images taken for the preliminary task were very rushed and left me little time to edit them.
On the contents page I created an editor’s letter and I thought of many other pages that may appeal to the target audience of the magazine. The contents page of the preliminary task was only a mock up so for the main task I had to fully create the contents page. The layout for the preliminary task still looked like a simple layout compared to the main task, there were more elements included in the main task e.g. an editor’s letter.
For the main task I also progressed on the double page spread. I had to use a journalistic convention of which was the correct register for my magazine. This register was fairly colloquial as my target audience is young male and female ranging from around 16 to the early twenties.
I also progressed on the photography itself as the model on the preliminary task would not smile and you could not see eye contact. Also the image was rather blurry and the misé-en-scene had no connection with the magazine. On the main task my image had eye contact was smiling and the environment was connected to the magazine. The image was taken in front of the Leas Cliff Hall and this is where the artist had recently played. I made sure people could see this connection by leaving the sign in full view.
On the front cover of my preliminary task I have progressed in the page structure. I had lots of empty space around the image that could have been filled by more sell lines. On the main task there is hardly any blank space that could be filled without making the magazine look crowded. Page structure has also been improved in the contents page as looking at the plan for the preliminary contents page there would have been a lot more blank space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment